Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Strawberry Harvest Begins

I (weeded) and picked my first round of strawberries. I froze two quarts and David and I ate one. The patch looks real good with at least two more pickings. The cool weather has been a blessing for the lettuce, which we are still eating . I have had two meals of spinach. Other greens (mustard, collard, chard and kale) are coming along and will be ready soon. My broccoli and cabbage from seed are slow going? Not sure if they have enough time. My struggle this year is with bunnies. They ate a lot of peas and half my broccoli seedlings raised from seeds. What are you gonna do? I have most everything covered in chicken wire and netting, but they still tend to get through and under somehow. I have to go buy some more netting. My snow peas have been blooming a week and should make some peas real soon. The shelling peas are blooming also. Carrots, potato and radish are up and onions need weeding. We planted nine rows of beans for drying: pinto, red, white, and black. Like all home grown foods, they taste much better. If it is not too wet we will do some summer plantings on the weekend, I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment