Friday, April 17, 2009

Ditto

I might be a little behind everyone else, but like all of you, appreciate this time of year so much! I worked at weeding and repairing parts of the garden yesterday and will plant some today. Up closer to the house I have the things I like to grab for dinner: kale, lettuces and spinach, etc. In the big garden in back, the peas and onions are coming up. My passion is berries - I now have blueberries, black raspberries, red raspberries, and blackberries (new this year).

Every year I plant a couple of packets of sunflowers and none ever made it. Any suggestions? I'm going to try again this year - maybe make a cold frame. I saw a HEDGE of them one year out in the country and was bowled over!

1 comment:

  1. I have trouble with them sometimes as well, but I have heard you can't start sunflowers and transplant them, you have to plant the seed where you want it. You probably could soak the seeds in water before planting them though. Maybe something is eating them, like squirrel. Try putting some chicken wire over them till they come up. If you havn't bought your seeds yet try Bunton's or Southern States.

    ReplyDelete